We barely follow the care instructions given with expensive dresses and delicate sweaters, let alone with our lingerie. I mean, it always stays hidden, right? Why bother?
We’ll tell you why. Your delicates retain their quality and last much longer if you care for them in a proper way – making them worthy investments. Here are a few tips and tricks for washing and storing your lingerie:
The best way to wash bras and panties
Hand-washing sounds tedious but it’s actually pretty easy, and we definitely recommend it for most of the lingerie we sell at Zivame. Here are the steps:
- Get a tub of luke-warm water and soak your lingerie with a mild detergent, or one that is specially formulated for delicate garments
- Swish around a few times and then squeeze them gently. Voila, you’re done!
If you are truly in a pinch and have no other option but to use a washing machine, well, here are a few rules you must follow:
- The absolute cardinal rule is that you must use warm (not hot) water and a gentle cycle
- Make sure you hook your bras and put them in a lingerie bag so they don’t get twisted or snagged
- Use the same wash you’d use while handwashing
- Never, ever use the dryer!
The best way to dry them
Who would’ve thought there was a certain way to dry lingerie as well! We know, we know, it’s getting to be too much. But hear us out – proper drying techniques will extend your lingerie’s shelf life from 2 years to 8 years! Here’s what you should do:
- Always dry your lingerie by laying it flat on a surface. This ensures that it doesn’t stretch out and lose its elasticity
- Dry it in the shade as this will protect its colours
- Do NOT tumble dry!
The best way to store them
You know the drill, you have to follow some steps:
- Bras can be stored in a drawer: place them behind each other, almost like they’re spooning
- Make sure you don’t turn the cups inside-out into each other
- Use bra holders so that they stay in shape for a long time
With these easy care tips, you can ensure your lingerie stays pretty and lasts longer!